Diary of a Wimpy Blogger

Sooooooooooooo today I was scheduled for a CT scan of my left shoulder. My orthopedic surgeon said the X-ray couldn’t tell him enough and it ordered a contrast [long word here] CT scan. I thought nothing of it. I figured I’d go into Greenwich Hospital, la dee dah twiddle dee dee and be out in 15 minutes. Bam. Not so fast.

Come to find out that a contrast CT scan is actually a THREE STEP process. One, a regular nothing burger CT scan, in one of those god awful hospital robes, slide under the pretty light screen and out in under five minutes. Easy.

But, for the contrast aspect to enter the equation, I needed some dye in my shoulder and to get the dye, they stuck me with a huge needle of Novocain. I am a total wimp and did not like that process at all. I think I left my fingerprints on the radiology room bed I was clutching onto for dear life! It didn’t really hurt but the mental expectation was that it would hurt. Then they had to inject the dye. That didn’t HURT but I could feel it and it wasn’t pleasant.

THEN, a stroll back to the CT scan room for round two. They seemed to leave me in there forever this time, like they went to lunch and forgot me, to the point I came close to shouting HEY REMEMBER ME, but someone did come get me. I asked if I was in there like longer than normal or if I was just getting antsy and he did say I was in longer, they were having trouble entering my information into the system. Huh?

The doctor was extraordinary and so too the radiology technician. Patient. Very informative as I asked a million questions. It’s incredible the steps they have to go through to make sure you are who you say you are and the that they are working on the correct body part – I had to spell my name etc and repeat my birthday a few times then match it to my hospital wrist band.

I was flummoxed from the get-go though because I didn’t realize what the ONS doctor had requested. It was such a hectic appointment to begin with, he was running late etc so I didn’t ask him then what exactly I was getting today. It’s like going to the dentist thinking you’re getting a regular teeth cleaning but are told it’s two root canals! I was mentally unprepared and also had not mapped out my day thinking I’d be at Greenwich Hospital for two hours!

Im done. Home. Feet up expecting some pampering. I bought two Mega Million tickets in Greenwich and two in New York, so I’m in it to win it!

7 thoughts on “Diary of a Wimpy Blogger

  1. Sorry you had to go through all of that…hopefully now your doctor can help you with the information.

  2. I recently had some outpatient surgery done and was asked my name and birthday so many times that I told them I might start shouting at the next person who asked. They were very nice and said this is now procedure, since in the rare times doctors operate on the wrong side or whatever, they get so much bad press and lawsuits. Kind of like TSA. They need to do something even if it is window dressing.

    Have a drink or glass of wine. It is 5pm somewhere.

    1. I took your advice and had wine. More than one glass! 🙂 You are right in saying the legality of operating on the right person and the right body part is what causes them to take such precautions. I wanted to play with their heads a bit and forget my name or birthday or spell my name wrong, but I decided I didn’t dare.

  3. p.s. A few years ago i was in an MRI machine for 3 hours(no exaggeration) for mri of my heart. I was fine while it was happening, but later thinking back on it makes me anxious. Subsequent MRI’s of my heart… they have only been one hour long(dealable)

    1. You were able to tolerate being in an MRI for three hours????? Oh my god, you have the patience of Job. I would have been a wreck. I’m not claustrophobic but I do not relish being in closed spaces very long.

  4. I was at Sloan in January for my yearly Abdominal CAT scan. They did the first scans and then I wait and wait and wait. I thought for sure all sorts of new growths were found. Turns out that the technician for the test with dye had to be found, then had to read all the reports from past scans, etc. I just wish they had told me. I was told that all the regulars knew the routine. Now I just have to remember this for next year!
    Good luck on the lottery tickets!

    1. I lucked out today, getting a great technician and a great doctor. Of course, since I went into this not knowing what I was getting into, they took extra care to explain every movement they made. Even the doctor putting the dye in my shoulder would say “this is my hand putting on your shoulder”. I thought that was amazing. Not sure if it was bedside manner or legal. But I was treated well.

Comments are closed.