As I touched on briefly yesterday, we’re in the first stages of planning our 2018 Winter Escape. We usually go at the end of February into March but are open to March into April if weather is better or options are better (translation = cheaper). Feel free to add your suggestions and comments.
Out: Jamaica and Bali. Jamaica just didn’t work for us last year and Bali is about ready to get a tad dusty when the volcano there goes boom! Also Out is renting a house like we did in St. Lucia and found it was way more trouble than it was worth. Resort living is for us, with others doing all the cooking and cleaning. Sybarites we are and proud to claim the title.
1. California Dreamin‘ – fly out to LA, see the Reagan Library in Simi Valley then flip a coin from there….do we hang a Louie and head to San Diego or head north to SFO etc? We’ve done Carmel and Monterey enough times to skip it this trip. Done Pasadena too. Kid lived in Santa Barbara so we’ve been there and about often. Montecito. Carpenteria. Done. But not been to Lake Tahoe in ages. Nor Yosemite. Or really really Northern California, like Guy Fieri’s hometown Ferndale. I got a “meh” from Mr. EOS on this itinerary. I believe his words were “what else ya got?” 😀
2. Petit Saint Vincent – Idea compliments of reader Miranda, the tiny island resort of PSV, gorgeous in every way shape and form. The one bedroom cottage, holy cow, take me there today. While the weekly price isn’t horrendous because it includes 3 meals/day, the small print is 21% tax, booze is extra (and gee, that might add up!), and getting there via Barbados and boat isn’t cheap. Plus, I’m not sure we fit the profile of the PSV guest, who I suspect will be lithe blondes in string bikinis with a titan hedge fund husband who shows his black American Express card with entitlement. There’s no TV, no problem, but also no internet, which would mean no blogging. Why would I go anywhere where I couldn’t show off where we are and you aren’t?! 😀😀 So we’re thinking no, despite its beauty.
3. A Cunard Queen voyage – With a Queen Mary2 voyage under our belt, we’re aiming for a Three Queen goal. Try the Queen Victoria or Elizabeth.
The Cunard website shows lots of voyages in February, March and April but the manageable length ones are already Sold Out and the mega length ones 35 days+ are unrealistic and unaffordable.
There’s a trip in February we think is doable, but alas, it’s Sold Out too, unless we want an inside room. No. We’re spoiled with a Princess Grill room.
And do I really want to see Bora Bora from a cruise ship? I’m not sure. I think I’d rather take a trip to the South Seas and see each island for a few days, not hopping off a cruise ship, even one as nice as a Cunard Queen.
4. Canada, cold and snow. Mont Tremblant maybe, or Lake Louise and Banff. Vancouver? We’ve done Montreal and Quebec City so that’s out. Do we want snow and cold is the larger question. I like the winter snows but traveling in it is a bear. Train across Canada?
5. Secaucus and Bayonne – When in doubt, stay home and see New York and New Jersey up close and personal. Nah, just kidding.
No easy winner. No one destination adds up yet to being the right place and the right price.
Vote early and often. Share your favorite places. I think Europe is out but if there’s someplace you think is special, we’ll reconsider. Hawaii, been there done that too many times. Mexico? Central America? A Caribbean island not impossible to get to?
The Suggestion Box is open.