Police came too….
What started as an innocent burning of some papers in the dining room fireplace (rather than shredding them), turned into a screaming screeching multi-smoke alarm howl like you’ve never heard – three smoke alarms went off – two upstairs and one downstairs…the alarm panel said Fire Second Floor!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I knew that the alarm system would call me to make sure it wasn’t a false alarm but when they did call, they said the line was busy so their first option is to dispatch the Fire Department. I’m equidistant to the Banksville FD as I am to Bedford FD but Banksville came today, none of whom I know like I know the men (and women) at the Bedford FD. The alarm company did reach me on the second try, I told them I was fine, they said the FD does not cancel calls for fire alarms, that they were on their way.
I tried to disarm the screeching alarm panel, with the phone in one hand, then racing upstairs to see if there was indeed a fire….it was FULL of smoke. Pretty thick smoke.
There’s a fireplace in a guest bedroom upstairs and the flue was partially open. Because there’s ZERO breeze today, there wasn’t enough draft to take the papers burning downstairs up the chimney. Hence, smoke, and alarm.
With no one living or using upstairs, I didn’t have the a/c on to move the smoke around, which maybe was a good thing? I opened as many windows as I could, then I could hear the FD trucks racing up the hill.
The FD stayed a good long time, did some thermal imaging in the walls to make sure the walls weren’t hot…. and they closed the flue.
All is well. The smoke is dissipating. My nerves are calm(er) and it’s after 5pm so I can have a drink! Phew. My tax dollars done good today – thanks Banksville FD!
Ya know, one final thought – none of my neighbors called me to see if I’m alright. Huh.