Reader Martha sent me some photos of her efforts with her boys to decorate Easter Eggs. At first I posted them at the bottom of my original Easter egg post but I’m deleting them from there and creating a separate whole post. The photos and story is that good.
We made our own dye from onion skins and red cabbage:
The next day, I made a broccoli rabe ricotta frittata with all the eggs:
Then, we thoroughly washed and dried the eggshells:
While the shells were drying we decorated some for hard boiling.
The blown eggs were harder to dye. They floated:
So we had to come up with a solution, wind weighted them down with a steamer basket and the cabbage:
Wrapping the empty shells with flowers and cheesecloth didn’t work, somehow the dye seeped under and the pattern was not as vivid as on the boiled eggs. They soaked for a couple hours, dried over night, and this morning we finished decorating. My plan was to spatter some copper paint, but it was harder than expected, so we dipped a couple, brushed a couple, and (my favorite) mottled the paint on with fingers. I was going to seal them with mod podge, but I found my jar was dry and I’d forgotten it was glittery. We tried a little on one.
Well Martha, you win Easter. I am constantly in awe of your talent but this just blows me away (no pun intended). Remarkable. Thanks for sharing.