Here’s the story of our travel life:
- We decided to go somewhere
- We check out airfares and hotel prices
- We find a great airfare and good hotel prices
- We think about it overnight
- Go to book it the next day
- The airfare is now triple and the hotel rooms are no longer available
Always! Enter our decision to travel this October.
Remember long long ago there was a post about us taking a cruise or being secret Duggar family fans?
Since you deduced we are not Duggar groupies, by process of elimination, you likely guessed we would taker a River Cruise. Close, but not quite.
We researched and looked and talked and got brochures and gabbed with friends about every known River Cruise line there is. Then there were all the river great cruise lines suggested by you all, plus the ones in the WSJ article on the topic, you’d think we’d come up with one that suited. Nope.
For every good review we read, there were five negatives – no matter which river cruise line it was. It goes back to that old You Don’t Know What You Don’t Know. I talked to a travel agent who specializes in river cruises and no matter what she said or what deals were out there, I only saw lukewarm. I can’t get excited about watching paint dry.
Then we talked about taking a land tour of some kind. Iceland is high on our bucket list. So too touring World War II sites in northern France. Also Scotland. Castle tour? Golf?
Then, out of nowhere, Mr. EOS said, Hey, How about a transatlantic sail on the revitalized Queen Mary 2?
Yes! Yes, as long as we can travel one class above steerage so I’m not recreating my Italian ancestors trip in 1900!
We looked over the QM2 itineraries, found a date in October that works, looked at all the classes of staterooms, decided which one was right for us financially and aesthetically, made a list of questions to ask the Cunard booking rep and put it on the to-do list this morning.
Guess what! The ONE class of room we wanted is now SOLD OUT! Last night, late, there was availability. This morning, poof, gone. At first I thought maybe it was a computer thing so I called Cunard and yes, true enough, that date, the level of room we want is sold out. That’s the EOS Effect. If it’s there at night, it’s gone in the morning.
I asked if there was such a thing as a waitlist. Yes. Are the chances zero to none we get off the wait list? No, we were told there was a decent chance since the sail date is far off yet. So I continued with the booking info, got a booking number, was put on the waitlist, and now we just have to wait.
I hope it happens because I want to look just like these couples.
And dance like these two…….
If you were a betting person, you say yea or nay to us getting the room?