Skip to content

Albuquerque View of the Eclipse of the Sun

May 21, 2012

Reader Betsy who hails from New Mexico sent in this incredible photo. Her text/commentary is below:

My sister-in-law, Kathleen, took this amazing photo from the deck of her husband’s office. She used her digital camera and a piece of car tinting material….as she states, “Just dumb luck” that it worked.

We, on the other hand, had just arrived home from a long weekend out of town. Although we could have viewed the eclipse from the sidewalk in front of our house, we were ill prepared to do so safely (no special glasses or time to make a box). We settled for watching the change of light/shadows while eating dinner on our sun porch. I then discovered we could watch the reflection of the changes in the very dirty westside window. This photo is of the moment it was total. Lucky I didn’t wash the windows last week as planned!

About these ads
6 Comments
  1. May 21, 2012 1:56 pm

I watched this eclipse live, and have viewed many photos of it. These are two of the best.

Once again, EOSr bests the blogging field, and to Betsy : WOW!

To explain, tree leaves, a fishnet shirt, or many type of grating form a crude lens, casting each micro-shadow with its own eclipse image.

2. Eugene permalink
    May 21, 2012 2:21 pm

I was unable to see the eclipse myself so it is thrilling to see photos by others. Fabulous.

3. May 21, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi,
    Great photos, it was an amazing event that we will never see again in our lifetime. There are a few partial eclipses coming up though. :)

4. michigan permalink
    May 21, 2012 5:34 pm

Those are good. I was outside all day yesterday and didn’t notice a thing. Maybe we weren’t in the area where it was visible. Last time there was an eclipse I remembered, we weren’t in the area of totality but I watched it on the Dish TV, Earth channel and you can see our planet from twenty four thousand miles away from their satellite. It looked like a big shadow spot on the Earth; pretty neat.

5. Anon permalink
    May 21, 2012 7:36 pm

Mags had a fabulous post about this event as well.

6. Jack permalink
    May 22, 2012 7:52 am

Anon: That is a great link to Magsx2 site. She has some cool stuff there.

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 350 other followers