Skip to content

For Sale: One Appendix, Slightly Ruptured

November 29, 2011

Not mine, but one of our male brood, down and out and under the needle, having an emergency appendectomy, and while the doctors were in there, they took out a hunk of his intestines too. The patient was reticent to be photographed for this blog but he seemed content and had some color back in his face this morning. Prognosis: Excellent. Willing to accept all forms of TLC. We’ll keep you informed as we know.

Mr. EOS had his appendix removed back when we lived on the Vineyard, by a doctor he not-so-kindly refers to as Chuckie the Chopper. The scar the doc left looks like he thought he was filleting a fish, not performing a delicate surgery!

There seems some medical discussion about the merits of the appendix. It’s dispensable, yet some recent studies indicate that it creates helpful bacteria.

from Life’s Little Mysteries:

The human appendix is a small pouch attached to the large intestine where it joins the small intestine and does not directly assist digestion. Biologists believe the human appendix is a vestigial organ left behind from a plant-eating ancestor. In Charles Darwin’s On the Origin of Species (1859) and his next publication, The Descent of Man (1871), he referred to several “vestiges” in human anatomy that were left over from the course of evolution. These vestigial organs, Darwin argued, are evidence of evolution and represent a function that was once necessary for survival, but over time that function became either diminished or nonexistent.

From Answers.com

Researchers at Duke University Medical Center say that the function of the frequently discarded appendix, an organ often credited with little importance and often dismissed as having no significant function, does it all;the appendix produces and protects good germs for the gut by “rebooting” the digestive system.
The study appears in the online edition of the Journal of Theoretical Biology

About these ads
14 Comments
  1. November 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi,
    Happy to hear all is well with the patient.
    That photo is just way out there, I’ve never seen anything like it. :shock:

2. November 29, 2011 1:57 pm

Just be thankful I didn’t use a REAL image!!!!!

3. Anonymous permalink
    November 29, 2011 6:57 pm

What an eventful Thanksgiving weekend in your neck of the woods! I’m glad the patient is dealing well with his recovery. :)

4. Val permalink
    November 29, 2011 7:12 pm

It doesn’t usually take a long time to recover from an appendectomy. Mine left me (not by itself) about forty years ago and there’s a funny story there to be told sometime, but not now!

The intestine picture looks a bit too much like sausages to me! :)

5. November 29, 2011 7:13 pm

Anonymous: Me too. I’m about a big a wuss as you can imagine, so discussing intestines and body parts in a jar doesn’t settle well with me!

6. November 29, 2011 7:14 pm

Val: Aw, c’com. Share the story. No better time than now.

7. Anonymous permalink
    November 29, 2011 9:08 pm

As an EOS son, I’ve been know from time to time to contribute an opinion or perspective on a issue or topic that is up my alley. Well, on the subject of this current topic, all I have to say is….. “Ouch”

8. November 30, 2011 11:42 pm

EOS glad to see that your son’s got his sense of humor back. I assume the above comment is him?
    I don’t know the value of appendixes – mine was removed when I was 13. Val I too would like to hear your story…

9. Anonymous permalink
    December 1, 2011 12:53 am

@EOS son, here’s something to get your blood moving and make your “owie” feel a bit less severe. :D

Yes, he (Conor Cummins) survived. He even raced the TT again this year although he didn’t finish due to problems with his equipment.

10. Anonymous permalink
    December 1, 2011 12:58 am

@EOS son again, here’s a different “adrenaline junkie” sport video just for fun and to kill a little time while you’re recuperating. :lol:

11. December 1, 2011 7:05 am

Anonymous: Great two videos, although I had to close my eyes. It was NOT my gene pool from whence the adrenaline junkie child came. Actually, Not Mr. EOS either. Hey Mr. Mailman?! :-)

12. December 1, 2011 7:08 am

Val and Rosie: We were just talking about how many women we know versus how many men who have had their appendix out. I know very few women who have had the operation and now both of you….what are the odds.

Yes, Rosie, the Anonymous comment above yours was from said son, in the hospital, with a laptop. He’s coming home today.

13. Regular Little Rock Reader permalink
    December 1, 2011 6:23 pm

Uh oh … I assume Appendectomy Child is one and same as Ducati Child? In which case, those two videos won’t serve as cautionary tales…they’ll go on the “to do list”!

14. December 1, 2011 6:28 pm

One in the same RLRR. One in the same. As a matter of fact, I didn’t tell him Anonymous sent those videos but darn, he actually reads this blog as do his sibs so he saw and loved the clips. Sigh.

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 349 other followers